– 100% Cotton Sock (Knee-Hi)
– Brown Rice
– Lavender Buds
– Needle & Thread
When you’re hurting due to menstrual cramps, you want effective relief and you want it fast!
Fortunately, making a homemade heating pad to help alleviate painful cramps is a cinch to make, and easy on the pocketbook too. Here’s how it’s done…
- You can use a knee-hi cotton sock for your herbal heating pad (those mismates that fall between the washer and dryer are perfect for this project), or depending on how comfortable you are with a sewing machine, you can also use a travel sized pillowcase cover or two fabric dinner napkins. It is important for the fabric to be a natural fiber since you’ll be heating the pad in the microwave and you don’t want to put synthetic fabrics in the microwave.
- Next, fill the sock with your bag of brown rice and a cup of lavender buds.
- Fold the opening over and seal the edge with needle and thread (or use your sewing machine. That’s it! Now your herbal heating pad is ready to use.
- Microwave the bag for 2-3 minutes and place on your abdomen for soothing relief. Be sure to test the bag first before placing directly on your skin as individual’s heat tolerance may vary. Reheat as needed.
They also make great aromatherapy gifts!
If you’re up for a eye-catching sewing project, click here for a tutorial from The Green Wife on how to make your own heating pad with ridges. If you don’t have time or the sewing skills, you can always buy an herbal heating pad and still reap the soothing benefits.